Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Vice President for Marketing and Communications, Verity Health System
NOTE: Verity Health System seeks TWO Directors with the following position description. One will be assigned to Seton Medical Center in Daly City, near San Francisco; the other will be assigned to St. Vincent Medical Center in Los Angeles.
The Director of Marketing and Communications provides a wide range of strategic communications expertise to promote and protect Verity Health System and its hospitals. Specifically, the Director will develop and implement communications programs aligned with the organization’s strategic goals and targeting key stakeholders including: employees, physicians, patients, members of the news media and members of the community, including elected/government officials. The scope of responsibility includes communications in the areas of media relations, employee and physician communications, patient communications, community relations, and marketing communications.
The Director has accountability to a designated CEO for one of the Verity Health System hospitals, who will set program priorities and objectives.
The Director reports to the System Vice President, who will set the System standards for communications, including strategic messages and graphic and editorial standards and related policies, while fostering the Director’s professional development.
- Manages media relations activities, including: identification of news opportunities and feature story ideas, writing news releases/media advisories, pitching to targeted media, escorting crews on site, responding to media calls, preparing talking points for interviewees and developing statements in response to sensitive media inquiries. The Director serves as media spokesperson as needed.
- Leads crisis/emergency communications preparation and response, including participation in periodic drills and assignment to command center on site as needed.
- Develops CEO messages and other communications for employees and physicians, such as e-newsletters, email messages, talking points and remarks for events.
- Develops messages and other content for communications with patients and family members.
- Develops messages and content for the general public/community members, elected officials and local government representatives, including content for hospital website and social media channels.
- Makes presentations to community and other groups and organizes outreach events on behalf of the hospital to promote clinical services.
- Writes and oversees production of collateral materials such as brochures, newsletters and special reports for various purposes.
- Manages the production of community benefit plans and reports.
- Provides communications support for marketing initiatives, such as management of photo shoots, identification of patients and employees for profiles, information gathering, copywriting and collaboration with business development staff.
- Provides communications support to fundraising activities, including Foundation events.
- Supervises assigned staff and outside service providers including graphic designers, freelance writers, photographers, video producers, among others.
- Participates in hospital committees and task forces related to employee engagement and patient experience, among other initiatives.
- Pursues professional development opportunities that enhance effectiveness.
Standards of Conduct
- Conducts all activities in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and organizational policy, including management of assigned budgets.
- Demonstrates the highest standards of business ethics and the values of the Verity Health System.
CONTACT: Jane Brust, Vice President for Marketing and Communications, Verity Health System